Friday 20 October 2017

the Festival of the Handsome Bull


Strange how I should write my last post, and then almost immediately afterwards go to a small rural town to see some real Panamanian culture at a local festival.  There are festivals like this somewhere in Panama every week, but this weekend I felt I needed to get out, as the only way of ensuring that I didn't spend another whole weekend working, so decided on the Festival of the Handsome Bull in Antón, just a couple of hours' bus ride away from Panama City.

The first half of the proceedings took place on a stage, with an announcer at the side introducing the various different groups in their polleras (the Panamanian national dress for women) dancing in traditional style to the cumbia music played live by a group of musicians beside the stage, and reminding us repeatedly that this was Panamanian Culture.  I don't really like the pollera - too frilly and fussy for me - nor do I like cumbia (an accordian and drums with the occasional seemingly random yodel thrown in), but it was fun to see everyone dressed up and enjoying themselves, and some of the young girls did look very pretty.

The second half was a long parade, with floats pulled by bulls (seemingly the only reference to the Handsome Bull of the festival's name) and plenty of dancers accompanying them.  There were also a few traditional masks around, some (or maybe all?) representing the 'dirty devils' of Panamanian folklore.


And as ever at these festivals, the wonderfully colourful 'congos' - the Afro-Panamanians from the Caribbean coast region.


It was fun, a nice distraction from the preparation for my next work trip, but still doesn't make me feel any more connected to the country, I have to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment