Saturday 11 October 2014

a floating market and biting fish


My three weeks in Bangkok were busy with work but I took a Sunday morning off to visit the floating market at Damnoen Saduak.  I had read mixed reviews of the place, the negative ones describing it as just a tourist trap, others saying it was good fun despite being set up for tourists.  If there had been more time available I would probably have visited this plus one of the more 'authentic' floating markets too, but with limited time I decided that Damnoen Saduak with its easily arranged tours would be good enough.

& the critics are right that it is highly geared towards the tourist trade.  But many, probably the majority, of those tourists are Thai, and whether the vendors are selling vegetables to 'authentic' Thais or hats to tourist Thais doesn't change the fundamental (and photogenic) nature of the floating market.

It also has the bonus of a few attractions that would not be there without the presence of tourists (or at least I very much doubt that your average Thai includes a photo opportunity with a boa constrictor as part of their regular market day)!  I've long been fascinated by snakes, not only are they beautiful but they are also lovely to touch and they feel amazing when they move; I always take any chance I get to handle a snake and this is one of many photos of me over the years with one draped around me.

Later during my three week stay I got the chance to interact with different creatures - the little fish that nibble dead skin cells off your body!  I had long wanted to try this, and seeing a stall with the little tanks of fish, $5 for 30 minutes with your feet and lower legs in a tank I was straight in.  & I have to say that it was one of the strangest sensations I have ever experienced.  Around the more tender parts of my feet I could actually feel the fish biting, although it wasn't painful, just extremely odd.


2 comments:

  1. Who gave you that black eye? Your left eye. Who did that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do (did) not have a black eye! Must be the shadow from the hat!

    ReplyDelete